Short Term Health Insurance Rule
The Facts About the New Short Term Health Insurance Rule
If you’re someone shopping for Short Term health insurance1 for any reason, news that federal regulations surrounding temporary health insurance were changing may have given you pause. You may ask, “If the rules are changing, is this coverage still for me?”
The answer: These changes to regulations are no reason to delay looking for this type of coverage, like a Short Term Medical plan, underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company.
Short Term health insurance hasn’t really changed
The main result of the new federal rule returned the definition of Short Term Limited Duration Insurance to a term of less than 12 months (364 days). However, states still have the final authority to regulate Short Term health insurance, so plan lengths will vary by state.
Still, the coverage you can get from Short Term health insurance hasn't changed. It remains a fast and flexible solution to temporary health insurance needs.
Why Short Term might be the best health insurance for you?
Short Term medical insurance may be your best coverage option for a number of reasons.
- It can be budget-friendly coverage while you are between long-term solutions.
- It’s available when you need it. You can apply for it year round, not just during some special enrollment period.
- You can get it fast. If you qualify, coverage could be in effect as soon as the next day after you apply in many cases.
- You can adapt it to your situation. If you find long-term coverage, you can drop your temporary health insurance coverage without penalty.
- You can customize it to your needs. Choose from a range of deductibles. Add additional coverage for prescriptions or accidents. Lower your short term insurance premium payments by selecting a lump sum payment option.
1 Short term health insurance is medically underwritten and does not cover preexisting conditions. It does not meet minimum essential coverage requirements, meaning signing up for this coverage may result in a tax penalty for 2018.
No individual applying for health coverage through the individual Marketplace will be discouraged from applying for benefits, turned down for coverage, or charged more premium because of health status, medical condition, mental illness claims experience, medical history, genetic information or health disability. In addition, no individual will be denied coverage based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, political affiliation or source of income.
References to UnitedHealthcare pertain to each individual company or other UnitedHealthcare affiliated companies.
Administrative services are provided by United HealthCare Services, Inc. or their affiliates.
Products and services offered are underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, Health Plan of Nevada, Inc., Oxford Health Insurance, Inc., UnitedHealthcare Life Insurance Company, UnitedHealthcare of the Mid-Atlantic, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of New York, Inc.
This policy is subject to various exclusions and limitations. For costs and complete details of the coverage, call (or write) your insurance agent or the company (whichever is applicable).